Custom Cable Assemblies
Mechanical wire rope cable assemblies are used in many different industries in any number of ways. Generally, wire rope cable assemblies have an end fitting at each terminal, which connects the cable to an object. Typical applications of custom wire rope assemblies include:
Custom Cable Assembly Design Options
When thinking about wire rope cable assemblies and custom steel cables, there are a number of options to consider:
- Cable Material: galvanized steel or stainless steel cables
- Cable Construction: typically these assemblies are made of 7 x 19 (most flexible), 7 x 7, or 1 x 19 (least flexible) cables
- Cable Coating: No coating, Nylon, Vinyl (PVC), or Pebax; black, white, and clear coatings are the most popular, but just about any color can be chosen
- Length: there really is no minimum or maximum length, just let us know for your application
- Ends Fittings or Terminals: we have a large selection of end fittings, including balls, ball shanks, sleeves, stamped eyes, stops, thimbles, handles/knobs, stops, strap forks, strap eyes, and threaded studs. Others fittings are available as well.
- Hardware: if your application includes hardware, let us know what type. We can add almost any type you need.
For more information on specific types of custom wire rope cable assemblies, take a look at these pages:
Custom Cable Assembly Design
Each use for a custom wire rope cable assembly has its own unique purpose. We can assist you in designing a custom cable assembly to fit your specific needs.
To help in the design process, we've created a custom cable assembly configurator.
Factors to Consider When Designing A Cable Assembly
- When it comes to cable assembly design, a number of factors need to be considered such as work load, abrasion, cycle life, and flexibility, environment, cost and safety.
- The larger the cable diameter, the greater the work load capacity. For most applications, use a 5 to 1 safety factor when designing an assembly. For critical safety or shock load applications an 8 or 10 to 1 safety factor is needed.
- The larger the diameter of cable, the less flexible it will be. Example: 1/8” 7 X 19 cable is more flexible than 1/8” 7 X 7 cable, but the 7 X 7 construction is more abrasion resistant.
- Stainless steel cable assemblies are more corrosion resistant than galvanized but have a slightly less tensile strength.
- Coated cable can greatly extend the life of the assembly in most applications. If using coated cable, the coating must be stripped off when swaging to achieve the maximum strength.
- The tighter the tolerance of your cable assembly, the higher the cost of the cable.
In addition to our custom cable assemblies, be sure to also check out our conduit cable offerings.
Custom Cable Assembly Industries Served
Tyler Madison, Inc. specializes in cable size from 3/64" - 3/8" in diameter and 270 lbs. - 14,400 lbs. in breaking strength. We will put our years of experience to work in helping you design and produce exactly what you need. We have manufactured quality custom wire rope cable assemblies for leading companies in the following industries:
Tyler Madison is an industry leading manufacturer of wire rope cable assemblies and custom wire and cable. Our knowledge and experience give us the capability to manufacture standard and custom wire rope assemblies and products for a variety of industrial clients. With in-house engineering and design services, you can get the exact kinds of wire rope assemblies and steel wire cable products that you are looking for from one place at an affordable price. Call us today to find out what types of custom cable assemblies we can do for you!